The aim of the course is to give the students knowledge about metallic materials microstructure and its relation to mechanical properties, with focus on cast and heat treated materials. The perspective is to optimize the material and design in engineering applications. Introduction to advanced software and microscopy to explore material characteristics.
The course includes the following topics:
- Overview of casting materials and processes
- Application of fundamental sciences to processing, microstructure evolution, and properties of iron-base-, aluminium- and magnesium-alloys.
- Physic-chemistry of liquid metal as applied to melting, refining and nucleation; solidification science and thermodynamics
- Theoretical analysis and analytical relations for heat capacity, thermal expansion, thermal conduction in solids and liquids etc.
- Microstructure - properties correlation
- Investigation of materials, material preparation and analyzing methods including Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM)
Education level: First cycle
General entry requirements and completed courses in Engineering materials 7,5 credits and Manufacturing Technology 7,5 credits